Saturday, February 16, 2013

Singing a new Song

I didn't "grow up in church" in fact I didnt start really going to church until I was in my early teens. I had been away one summer visiting relatives. While corresponding with my mom she told me that they had found a new church. It was word of faith and charismatic it was teaching them things, had a great youth program and i was going to love it. 

The week I returned home i went to their youth Service. The youth group had just gotten back from a mission trip and unbeknownst to me this particular church/youth group had had some amazing encounters with God while there. I had no idea what I was doing when they started their worship, it wasn't like any youth service I had ever been to. Everyone there seemed to have a genuine hunger to seek after God and to experience his presence. 

I knew next to nothing about spiritual gifts, speaking in tongues or feeling the presence of God. The youth pastor had asked up all to come up and she wanted to pray over us. Looking back now I don't recall feeling awkward. I didn't feel out of place. I felt safe and wanted. I remember hearing her pray over those close to me. She spoke in tongues and I remember thinking it was the most beautiful sound i had ever heard. And when she got to me and laid her hands on me she prayed. Everything I heard was in English but her mouth wasn't matching up with the words that I was hearing. I knew at that moment i was encountering something bigger than myself, something unexplainable and real. For the first time in my Life I felt God's presence so strong it was like I could reach out and touch Him. 

My parents came down to collect me after the service and I was surrounded by other youth engulfed in the presence of God Worshiping him and singing to him in the spirit. There are days when i sing to God and I feel him so strong loving me building our relationship through the intimacy of my voice and his love. I feel the closest to God when I'm singing in the spirit. To me its something pure and untouchable. Its a free and beautiful, empowering exchange between us. Would you not feel closer to God if you were sitting right at His feet? 

Why am I sharing this with you? Because its apart of who I am, Who God created me to be. Its apart of myself that I have kept locked away for many years because of past experiences in my life. God is reawakening in me a New Song. And its my Song meant for Him. Even if he has me sing it out for everyone to hear I know that Trusting him means knowing that he will never abuse my gift for his own gain. 

Psalm 108:1-5 God, My heart is Steady. I will sing and praise you with all my being. Wake up Harp and Lyre! I will wake up the Dawn. Lord, I will praise you among the nations; I will sing songs of Praise about you to all nations. Your great love reaches to the skies, your truth to the heavens. God you are supreme above the skies. Let your glory be over all the Earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment